Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fooling .... I mean Fueling

Is it just me or did the fuel station guy rip me off ...

In fact, when I had heard that the beloved lifeblood of my fine Korean made vehicle had increased in price by 30% this morning, my blood pressure rose by approximately the same amount. 30%! ... It might be necessary but hey!

Essentially I spend about GHC 200.00 on fuel in a month, with the added 30% it means that I will be spending GHC 260.00 a month on fuel … that’s a GHC 60.00 difference, and the last time I checked my salary hadn’t risen. Good bye Rhapsody’s and Tasty Jerky on a Friday night, it will now be replaced by a somber visit to Legon’s night market, 1 egg and no meat please.

Fortunately I am not too politically biased so I won’t say that this is an NDC thing or some rubbish like that, I hear the worlds crude oil price has risen to about U$ 90.00 a barrel, and the government has increased the TOR levy (a tax essentially) from 0.2% to 0.6% (according to the honorable minister of Information when speaking on a show with K. Pratt Jr.). Interestingly enough when I checked the prices of fuel over the past year (you can check it yourself with the link below) fuel prices have been between 75-90 dollars a barrel. Ah well do the math’s yourself. My problem isn’t if the price rise is justifiable or not (it probably is), but the fact that it’s going to harm my already miserable pocket.

I feel sorry for the people who have to wait 30 minutes to 2 hours to get transport to and from work, but now I am also definitely feeling sorry for the people who own their own cars … no one’s got it good o!

Anyhowly, I do feel that the government announcing a reshuffling of the ministerial positions was a ploy to get our minds off the fact that we have no more money after paying for transportation. And I feel sorry for them, they did tell us that they would reduce the oil prices when they were the opposition and the NPP pulled a fast one on them by reducing it just before they were ousted, which has now resulted in an interesting case of “foot-in-mouth-disease”. They should just man up and tell us Ghanaians the truth that the government can’t subsidize fuel for us and let us struggle to find a way to sort ourselves out. I think we can handle the truth, don’t you?

Feel free to drop you comments, and if you don’t agree with something I said, tell me, I’m not a close minded bigot!

Later peeps,

Added: 06/01/11

You know something, its very fortunate and unfortunate that the fuel increase has happened at this time of year. On the fortunate side; at least we were able to spend all our money during Christmas without whining over the new fuel price. On the other hand, some of us have spent our December salary already, basically meaning that January was going to be the month of miserly living, now with the added fuel price some of us have invested in shovels so that when we die our family members have the tools to bury us ...

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment